Our mission at St Mary Church is a community of faith united in Eucharist and committed to seeking God through prayer; sharing our gifts of time, talent, and treasure; providing a formation and education for children and adults; responding to the needs of people by sharing our faith and resources. We are dedicated to living and proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
St. Mary Church at Ireland, Indiana was founded in 1890 when a number of Catholics, who had been affiliated with St. Joseph Parish in Jasper, concluded that a parish should be established in Ireland to be closer to their places of residence. Meetings began at the home of William C. Renner. Those advocating a new parish were Joseph Schuetter, Andrew Schmitt, James Schuler, Phillip Schwenk, Martin Sermersheim, Andrew Fritch, Michael Steinhart, Pauline Hurst, and John Renner.
An organization and building committee formed and on April 24, 1890 nineteen and one-half acres were purchased. In 1891, a small wood structure was completed as the first church. In 1903 the parish had grown to 45 families and plans for a new larger church were under consideration. The cornerstone for the new brick structure was laid in 1904. The new church was completed in 1905.
Today St. Mary Church is home to 1,023 families with a total of 2,743 members registered with the parish.